Here is an excerpt from a great article in Acupuncture Today documenting the advantages of using cosmetic acupuncture vs. other more costly conventional procedures.
Americans spend billions of dollars each year on cosmetic products and procedures. Most of these provide only superficial results and in many cases cause harsh or irritating effects to the skin.
Acupuncturists have stepped into providing esthetic procedures in recent years in increasing numbers. Acupuncture facial rejuvenation is provided using needles, non-needle micro-current methods, or combinations of the two. Except for the risk of bruising from needle insertions into the face, such treatments are safer and gentler than many conventional spa treatments.
Both acupuncture and micro-current facials offer some or all of the following effects:
1. Improve and balance muscle tension (tone) to more youthful tautness. This could involve relaxation (yin) effects for tense muscles or toning (yang) effects for slack muscles or fascia.
2. Improve circulation of qi, blood and fluids (lymph) in the face and other body areas. This provides better nutrition for the cells, carries away waste more efficiently and reveals natural beauty and radiance in the face.
3. Promote healing and anti-inflammatory effects for skin lesions, acne, rosacea and other skin irritations.
4. Bring more Shen, or Spirit into the eyes.
5. Help release neuro-peptides that promote feelings of well-being on a physical and emotional level. This is reflected in the beauty of the face.
6. Stimulate whole-body benefits through micro-system effects on facial zones that connect with internal organs and body systems.
By looking at these effects it is clear that acupuncture or micro-current facial rejuvenation can potentially do much more than just lift and tone the local tissues of the face. Therefore, facial rejuvenation clients coming to acupuncturists can enjoy these expanded effects – and in some cases significant health benefits.
Energy Light Rejuvenation (ELR) is a system of micro-current and color light facial rejuvenation that I have helped to develop and teach. I have personally experienced or heard about many positive “side effects” that have been reported during series of ELR sessions. These have included:
1. Pain relief in various parts of the body.
2. Profound stress reduction.
3. Relieving fatigue.
4. Relieving menstrual cramps.
5. Weight loss (ranging from 5 – 15 pounds over the course of 10 rejuvenation sessions).
6. Relief of depression, anxiety and lack of inspiration in the creative arts.
7. And improvement of vision or function of other sense organs.
January, 2012, Vol. 13, Issue 01, by Darren Starwynn, OMD, LAc